Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Knitting While San Diego Burns...

First off, can I just say, it is shit like this that let's me know I am loved. I have gotten so many calls from friends and loved ones concerned about my welfare with the fires burning around San Diego. On the maps they show on TV, I am in an evacuation zone. I have called my local police, and we are not to evacuate. The nearest fire(s) are about ten miles away to the south. I am completely packed and ready to leave if the situation and/or the winds change.

I have no idea what national/world coverage of these fires have been...it has been the only thing on TV here in San Diego since Sunday night. Almost 400,000 people have been evacuated from their homes and my mind boogles at the amount of possible loss. Luckily, at this point there has only been one death and around 30 serious injuries.

I did not sleep at all last night, just some naps...can I be honest...I was afraid that if I slept, I would be woken by the sound of the police/firemen banging on the door saying GET OUT.

Called my office in Poway for shits this morning...I got voicemail...I was happy until I realized our voicemail could be offsite and not at the actual office. I hope I still have a job.

Having said all that, my only solice has been to knit. What else in the hell am I going to do? My mind just races as I franticaly think about my situation and wondering about my co-workers and friends and if I still have a job. As the night progressed, the projects got more and more simple. I am now working on my Harry Potter Slytherin school scarf...simple stockinette stitch in the round. I can do it unconscience. I am using my knitting to salve my anxiety...

It still seems so unreal what is happening here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You asked about the world coverage - well, I have watched both German TV and Sky news, and I'd say the coverage is rather thourough, and a lot of concern expressed.

I must say though, that the situation is just unimaginable for me. And it really makes me sick to think that two of the fires may have been started on purpose. Who could be such an ar** to do such a thing?

Ella