Sunday, October 14, 2007

Yarn Whore Part 2...Potter Scarves Part 3

Yarn Whore Part 2

So I have bought more yarn. NO...I don't want to hear it! One of the ladies at the yarn store gave me a gift certificate as a late birthday gift and everything in the back sale room was 50% off this weekend...so THERE!

What did I buy? Got me some more sock yarn two colorways of the same yarn. It is Bebe Color Superwash (aka TOTALLY machine washable) wool. I found the colorway examples on the internet. I have the colors 0057 and 0046. See below:



I also bought another skein of the main color for mom's sunflower purse as I realized one would not be enough.

I also bought some size 9, 16" long circular needles (also in the sale room) which leads me to...

Harry Potter Scarves Part 3

OK...to review, if you all will remember I am tackling making the scaves for the four different schools from Harry Potter...the ones with the small stripes:



So I had orginially begun with the burgundy and gold Gryffindor scarf...the thing was wide enough to be a sweater. So I rippped it out.

I had a friend request a Hufflepuff gold and black scarf for Halloween. So I cast on 20 less sts and began knitting on size 8 needles, which the pattern AND the yarn called for. I am about 3/4 done with this Hufflepuff scarf and I hate it, too. It doesn't lay well, it is stiff, STILL too wide and it is eating up yarn.

I learned something simple recently with the socks I have been knitting. Go up a size needle needed for gauge...you make a wider, looser sock (aka better fitting for fat feet). I began to think, what if I went up a size needle on the Harry Potter scarf?

That is where the size 9 needles I bought this week come in. I had the yarn for the Slytherin scarf (green and silver). I stopped working on the Hufflepuff scarf and began the Slytherin scarf, casting on 60 sts on the size 9 needle, which is 30 less than the original. I am about a 1/4 done and THIS IS IT. This is what I like and this is how the remaining scarves will be.

Now what do I with the 3/4 done Hufflepuff scarf? It is supposed to go to J_ for Halloween and I will make another for the band. [Here is where I become a bad knitter/person] What I want to do? Rip out the Hufflepuff scarf I have and redo it for the band and not knit the scarf for J_ for Halloween. It is October 14, I would have to finish and get it to her in two weeks. I hate the project, which makes me always put it down and not finish. Am I horrible? I want to pull out of my obligation to knit the one for J_. If you ever wanted to comment in this journal, tell me what you think about this...

Scarf Class

Took a class to learn how to make a short row scarf. I found a picture of what my scarf will kinda look like. It is a pattern from ArtYarns, actually it is scarf pattern p101 on thier website. Here is what the scarf looks like:



I caught on fairly quickly, although I was slipping certain stitches incorrectly and had to rip the whole thing out once...oh well, it happens. But by the end of class I had passed where I ripped out and I really had the hang of it.

The teacher...the knitting DIVA...said yet again that I was a good knitter. It made me happy, I know she wouldn't just say it and that she means it. She is just a fab knitter I take it as a supreme compliment.

So that is it, I think...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Baling out on J is a toughie. If you think J would understand that you overbooked yourself then I would do what you need to do. However, if you think J will flip out then I would try my best to get it done.

On a more personal note - I LOVE the color of the yam 0046 that you got for the socks. Those socks will be awesome!

Jenn