Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Knitting for San Diego fire victims!

As I am sure you all know, I am now a part of the Raverly revolution. Through Raverly, I now below to a group of knitters who live in Southern California and the San Diego area. Even though the fires aren't out yet, one of these ladies has already organized a "charity" [she is not taking money] for knitters to band together and help the fire victims.

She wants us to knit and send/give her 8" squares (mostly acrylic/RedHeart yarn) washable squares to sew together to make blankets to give to these people who have lost everything.

I personally and stopping my other knitting projects to take up this project. There are over 1200 homes that have been destroyed in San Diego county...I don't know if there will be anyone in the San Diego area who doesn't know someone who has been effected. I just found out today that one of my co-workers lost thier house.

PLease e-mail me at sg1fan at yahoo dot com and I will get you the information on where to send your squares:

She has posted some links on square ideas:

In case someone needs links:

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/8in_squares.php a great resource for crochet

http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/motifs_squares.php for knitters

And someone posted this easy pattern for knitters:

If you use US 9 needles with Red Heart super saver:

CO 30 st
k 4 rows garter
odd rows: k to end
even rows: k4, p22, k4
when work measures ~7", k last 4 rows garter

Someone else posted this pattern:

Here's another easy way to make 8-inch squares.

CO 1 stitch
Row 1: Knit in front and back
Row 2: Knit in front and back of first stitch; knit second stitch.
Row 3: Knit in front and back of first stitch; knit to end.
Continue in this fashion until one of the sides measures 8 inches.
DECREASING ROWS Row 1: Knit to last 2 stitches. Knit 2 together.
Continue in this manner until you have 5 stitches left. Bind off those stitches.

I do not know how many crafters read this blog, but I thought I would put it out there...

No comments: