Monday, November 12, 2007

An Afghan!

As you may or may not have read, I had gotten a wild hair up my butt about wanting to knit an afghan for my couch (it is cream colored...it NEEDS to be covered). I had given up all hope of being able to justify buying the yarn versus a store bought afghan...price wise.

So Micheal's and Jo-Ann's both had some sales on yarn this past holiday weekend. And I finally found yarn cheap enough to justify knitting an afghan for my couch! I found this at Jo-Ann's...Sensations Rainbow Classic. The skein has 615 yards!!! And I needed two for my afghan (at a total of about $11), I found a simple garter stitch afghan using that yarn on Jo-Ann's website. Garter stitch=BORING.

I basically ended up creating my own afghan pattern. I needed it to be wider and shorter for my couch, so I used the gauge to figure out how many to cast on. Some how I managed to find my "The Step-by-Step Needlecraft Encyclopedia" by Judy Brittain in my crafts closet. I found a nice ridge pattern and decided to make it a seed stitch border. I am liking the results so far.

The yarn is just a cheap 100% acrylic, and I am hoping it won't pil too badly. It kinda has a fluff to it I can see piling. Here is a picture from Jo-Ann's of the yarn type:



I was hoping to get that colorway at the store, but they were out. I did find a green/gray colorway that will match my chair so I hope it looks good.

Now the above yarn skein looks normal...right? But that picture has no scale...that skein is about a foot long and at least 6 inches high...NO JOKE...the skein is massive!

I will probably work on this on my nights after work. I am going out of town this weekend and will bring a bag full of my left over acrylic to make squares for the wildfire victims.

1 comment:

Karla said...

Can't wait to see pics of it. Good luck with it!