Thursday, August 30, 2007

Bummer!

Well, one of my surprise knitting projects has been "ruined"...it is totally my fault. I had decided to knit my mom a pair of socks for her birthday. I had promised them to her at Christmas when she saw the yarn in my stash and I said I was going to make socks from it. We measured her foot, I wrote the numbers on the pattern and basically put the project down.

I thought HEY mom is coming to visit me for my birthday, I can make these socks and have them for her when she visits. (I was planning on another project for her birthday, even knitted it up...but I have to pay someone to finish it and I just can't afford it-so now it is Christmas).

Anyway, I began happily knitting the first sock and then I looked at the measurement for her foot. All I had written down was "mom's foot 6" " Mom's foot is only 6" long? that can't be right? Maybe it is the measurement minus the 2" for the toe decrease? I was totally stuck, so I had to ask mom to measure her foot. She knew why. Surprise ruined.

So this is what I am knitting for her:

The three completed socks are ones I made for myself out of Cascade 220 Quattro yarn. The ball at the top is the yarn I am making my mom's socks out of.

But, I have more tricks up my sleeves...and on my needles. I thought of some more knitting I can add to the gift that she won't know about!

Speaking of Cascade 220...I love making socks out of it and I think they look cute as a button with Birkenstock sandals in the winter. I was listening to one of my knitting podcasts, I can't remember which one and they mentioned Cascade 220 SUPERWASH. I nearly passed out! I could create more Cascade 220 socks in TOTALLY MACHINE WASHABLE WOOL. Me want...

No comments: