Friday, August 24, 2007

Yeah, I've got A LOT of needles...

So, the two Doctor Who scarves are not the only things I have on my needles.

Right now I am knitting two gifts/surprises. Suffice to say they are both being knit with Cascade 220 yarn. That is ALL I will say until I finish the items and the people have said items. Then I will post about them and show pictures.

Other things on my needles...

I am doing a series of Harry Potter scarves. One for each school, that means four scarves. For those who know the difference, I have chosen to do the later edition scarves where there is a dominate color with smaller stripes of a second color. Below are retail examples of the scarves.



Why am I doing these mind numbing scarves? The San Diego Concert Band is doing a "fantasy" themed concert in the spring and we are going to play music from the Harry Potter movies. The conductor is pretty cool and allows us to "dress up" a bit at the concerts. I play percussion, and there are four of us and there are four schools at Hogwarts...you see where I am going?

I began the Gryffindor scarf from a pattern I found on the internet. Harry Potter Scarf Pattern I know it is a free pattern, however, I don't know what crack this individual was smoking but nine inches is WAY too wide for this scarf. After one full run of the pattern, I ripped out the entire thing...it looked totally whacked!.

Since I had a friend commission a Hufflepuff scarf (yellow and black) for Halloween. I decided to start that one, to make sure I had a Hufflepuff done by Halloween and I took an inch off the width of the scarf and it looks SO much better. I have about three feet done and am I assured to have it done by Halloween.

All these Harry Potter scarves are kinda just for fun, so there was NO way I was going to pay big bucks for yarn. It is just mega cheap acrylic Red Heart and Caron. Despite the cheapness of the yarn, I still think they look pretty cool. And will be fun for the occasional wear.

NOw the question is, will I get the four school scarves done before spring?

No comments: