Friday, April 4, 2008

Warmers and Words

Guess what I finished today?



OK, not both, but I finished the first one...my first thumb gusset...and I think it looks pretty fab! Sadly, I am uninterested in doing the second one right now...I have so many other projects hovering.

I have now been commissioned to make another fauxhawk based on the one in my profile picture. This one will be for a knitting bud's husband for him to wear to the San Diego State University football games. So I will be trying to do version of this logo on the side of the fauxhawk. Something like this:



As per request from the ladies I knit with, I am going to post the personal statement I sent along with my application for graduate school. If you find any grammatical or spelling errors, PLEASE DO NOT TELL ME, I don't want to know. Here it is:

I never thought that I would make a career change. The field of archaeology has interested me since I saw the first Indiana Jones movie at the age of nine. I pursued a career in archaeology, through college and graduate school, receiving my Master’s degree in Anthropology in 1998. Since that time, I have enjoyed my work as an archaeologist, however the fluctuations in the job market and the constant moving to new job sites have taken their toll. I decided in January that I would put my career in archaeology behind me and look for a new career path. This decision led me to seek the help of a career counselor.
The search for a new career was not going well on my own. I went to so many headhunting websites and job fairs all in an effort to find my next career and nothing was successful. Soon I determined I would not be able to discover that new career without someone to help me and I decided to go to a career counselor.
The career counselor was able to focus me on my interests, personality type and beliefs. She was so supportive in guiding me toward a new career path that would truly fit me. My interests in helping others through the medical field, therapy or counseling was a reoccurring theme, not only in the personality and interest tests, but also in the discussions I had with the career counselor.
My career counselor, Juanita, had me research for a possible career that would stem from my interests in anthropology. In my investigations, career counseling came up on a list of professions I could pursue. I was so inspired by the help and guidance my career counselor gave me, I decided career counseling was the path I wanted to take to help others.
In my discussions with the career counselor, I was surprised to learn that so many people do change their careers. I understand, after having gone through the process myself, what a hard transition it is to take on a career change alone. The challenges and roadblocks of finding a career path can be very overwhelming and discouraging. I want to be able to guide people through this transition and give them the confidence to start in a career path they will be happy with for years to come.


Crap or new graduate student?

1 comment:

Karla said...

The wrist warmer looks great. The essay sounds good too.