Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Knitting and my future

OK, briefly, in the knitting world:

Here is the beginning of my Rose Wrist Warmers:



Like the Jaywalker socks, this isn't exactly the rocket science of the knitting world, but MAN am I making mistakes. I'll blame it on the fact that I am working from a chart, yeah...that's why I am messing it up. Couldn't POSSIBLY be that I am distracted at all.

STILL need to put the tassles on those lame ass Harry Potter scarves. When that is finished, I promise to post a "group" picture of them....but I have been kinda busy this week with real life...

Real Life Update:

You know I don't like real life on my knitting blog, but this is big so I am sharing.

I was so disheartened on Monday about my possible future career, I e-mailed my career counselor and she got me in the next day. We went over the second work related test. On both tests the profession of speech pathology ranked very high as well as several types of therapists.

Speech pathology, occupational therapist and career counselor ranked the highest in my personal interests. I have been so inspired by my career counselor and what she has done for me. I had talked to her about it on Tuesday and it looked like the only university in the area I could major in counseling was closing it's career counseling tract. I was bummed and went away thinking that Speech Pathology would be the way I would go. But since my career counselor got her degree at that university (University of San Diego), she said she would contact her former advisor to see what was up.

I went home happy in the knowledge I would be persuing a career in speech pathology. I was disappointed with the prospect that I had missed the cut-off to have my application in for the Fall of 2008 and might not be able to start in speech pathology until the Fall of 2009. I didn't know how I was going to pull it off, but my career counselor told me before I left on Tuesday...if it is meant to happen it will...

Today...I got a call and an e-mail from my career counselor today. She told me the program had simply been changed and renamed. She also told me the cut-off date to apply was YESTERDAY, however, they would be willing to work with me and allow me to squeeze in my application by Monday. I later talked to the advisor and she encouraged me to apply ASAP to still be able to get into the program, as early as this summer.

OK, does this not seem like a sign to you? It does to me! I am going for it. I have spent today scrambling to fill out the application, request recommendations, pay the application fee and order my transcripts. Tomorrow I will tackle the "personal statement" and submit that puppy.

I don't know how I am going to get the money. The deadline for the student loan was yesterday, too. But right now, I am flying by the seat of my pants and going with the "if it is meant to be it will happen" thing.

Keep your fingers and toes crossed for me!

3 comments:

Corinne said...

OH, I am so excited for you. Good luck and my fingers are definitely crossed for you!!

Anonymous said...

Good luck! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you

Karla said...

Congrats and good luck!