Monday, July 13, 2009

Day 12

Today we had class in the morning, from 9 to almost noon. Nothing hard, just an ice breaker so we can all get to know each other. Then the whole class headed off in taxis to Althorp estate, where the Spencer family (Princess Diana's family) live.

We ate a light lunch when we got there and then toured the inside of the house. I decided not to get an audio tour or guide book for the house, so I was basically walking around clueless as to what I was really looking at. In some of the rooms they had some very knowledgeable guides who were more than willing to talk about the rooms and the Spencer family.

I kinda got separated from the group during the tour of the house and when I walked around the lake that has the island Princess Diana is buried at. The grounds were beautiful and I can think of a lot worse places be buried.

I met up with the professor and some of the other students when I headed back to the cafe. It weird being the foreigner and having people ask where you are from and how you are liking your visit. Most of the British I have come across seem genuinely interested in talking to an American. I keep thinking that there is nothing really special about me.

Anyway, we caught the bus back into the center of town and I hung out with some of the other ladies. We wandered around the mall in Northampton and then we went to an Italian restaurant called Sophia's. We got there a little bit before 5 and they weren't open yet, but there was a nice guy outside

who let us in early. My meal was fabulous and it was nice getting to know some of the other students.

This is the second time in my life I have had a restaurant opened for me...the other time was when I was in England the last time, while visiting Bath. I don't know, but I just don't think an American restaurant would do this.

It was a really nice day! Tomorrow we are headed back to London and we are going to the British Museum. Even though I have been before, I think we kinda rushed through it. I want to take my time this time. If it means getting separated from my group, then I will hoof it alone. I may try to make it to the yarn store tomorrow. We shall see.

DAILY DAVID

No comments: