Thursday, July 9, 2009

Day 8

Today was my first day on campus here at the University of Northampton.

I got up early so that C_ could take me to the Milton Keynes train station on her way to work this morning. I admit to being a little bit nervous as the last time I was on British trains it was a mess and some poor guy had to help me transfer trains twice. This time it was so easy it was almost scary. I went up to the counter to buy the ticket and told the guy I didn't have a clue what I needed to do. Considering that the customer before me was a complete ass, I think he was relieved. Got my ticket and was on a train to Northampton in 10 minutes.

I took a cab from the train station to the university and was dropped off at the Sunley Centre...my new digs for 2 weeks. They have no elevator and this poor dude had to carry my 50+ pound suitcase up a flight of stairs. I immediately fell into unpacking and I got all settled in. My professor for the course I am taking came by and introduced himself. Then I basically vegged on TV until 4pm.

Then all the people in the program met up at the "pub". I put that in quotation marks, because I think I would use the term hole-in-the-wall. But we all introduced ourselves and had a pint together. Then we had what the dinning service considered a "light dinner". A chipmunk could not get full on what they fed us!! Tiny sandwiches and chips...

Then the professor walked a bunch of us down to the local pub off campus.. Cha-ching! Real food...so I ordered some. Most of the other people are still a bit off having just arrived today so hardly anyone else got food. It was a good meal for cheap...cheaper than the craptastic lunch I had on campus today. I will be going to the pub from now on!.

As I type I am sitting in the commons area where I can get some wi-fi. Tomorrow we are going to tour Norhtampton and do some shopping. The my friends C_ and B_ will come to pick me up for the weekend. Might be going to London this weekend, not sure yet. I am hoping to get my pictures ready for download so I can show you all what is up!

DAILY DAVID

No comments: