Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Day 6

Today, the three of us went to Stratford-Upon-Avon, the home of William Shakespeare. The weather was a variety from bright and sunny to pouring down rain. The town itself was bigger than I thought it would be and so spread out. We walked into town from the south and it was gorgeous.

There were a number of canal boats moored up in an area just off the river connected to the river by a canal lock. We were lucky enough to see two boats, one coming and one going. It was cool. I got video and pictures, that's all I'll say...

We crossed the river and went through the town. There were lots of "ye olde" buildings and they were wonderful to see. We stopped at a little cafe and I tried my first packet of prawn cocktail crisps (shrimp cocktail chips), not foul, but not exactly tasty.

We went to the birthplace of Shakespeare, got a lovely picture of that too...was that 12 pounds to go in? Uh, I don't like Shakespeare THAT much.

We went back down through the town and went to Tudor World which was small but a lot of fun. They had so much information about people living in Tudor times from the plague, to medicine, to food.

Poor C_ and B_, I made them go to some incredible cheesy tourist shops, but I love that stuff. I got a London Underground mug and a magnet with thermometer that says Stratford-on-Avon. I got a number of postcards today and I might send them out tomorrow.

I haven't bought any gifties yet...I see things and think of people who might like them, but then I am afraid I'll get something and then find something better later.

We walked down to the church where Shakespeare was buried. We went in and looked inside, but once again, one pound fifty to see his burial site, no thanks.

Then we walked back along the river and took the chain ferry across the river. Then walked along the river, stopped at another cafe and the information center and then we headed out.

For dinner we went to the Blue Monsoon, "A contemporary Bangladeshi & Indian Resturant". I had the Mixed Tahli which is a number of small dishes consisting of Onion bhaji, chicken tikka masala, lamb jefrezi, prawn bhuna, shobji bahar, pilau rice and plain naan. Very yum!

Tomorrow is Bletchley Park and Claydon House.

DAILY DAVID

No comments: