Thursday, July 16, 2009

Day 15

Today was even more boring than yesterday, which was great!

I slept in late again, missed breakfast, but had tea and fruit in my room. Thanks, C_ for recommending that Yorkshire tea. I have been enjoying that in the morning and the Rooibos at night before I go to bed.

Anyway, just watched TV today. I tried experimenting around the dial today...and most of you know how much I love British TV shows, but I ended up watching Judge Judy this morning. Sad, I know.

I did go to the convenience store on campus today. I was on the hunt for more snacks and something to eat for lunch. Not only do the British have a dizzying array of crisps (chips), but they also seem to enjoy what we in the US would consider "interesting" combinations for sandwiches. I bought a pre-made chicken and dressing sandwich today, very good. Although, I must say, the pre-made sandwiches are getting old. Then again, I don't want to go to the pub for two meals a day, so there isn't much else to do for lunch other than go to the town center by bus to find a restaurant. I just can't be bothered.

I bought lots of snacks I hadn't tried yet. And, I finally caved and bought some soap opera magazines. As some of you may know I am a fan of the British soap opera EastEnders, so now that I am over here I can read all the dish about what might be coming up!

I had a nice conversation with the couple working at the convenience store. I am wearing my Doctor Who (another British show) t-shirt today and I got to talking to them about the show and its history. It is the first time someone has recognized the shirt and commented on it. No one ever says a thing in the US.

I hung out in my room knitting on my shawl (yes, I did bring it after all and it is going really well) and doing my criss cross puzzles.

Once again, I went to the pub for dinner, this time REALLY expecting to be alone as I thought everyone had gone on day trips. I found two of my fellow students there and had dinner with them. For me it was kind of an awkward dinner as I really didn't have much in common with them and in all honesty I didn't volunteer much information about myself. To me this just makes the experience more interesting. I have come thousands of miles to learn about dealing with different cultures only to realize amazing differences in "American culture."

Tomorrow I meet up with Duran Duran and Doctor Who fan friend, M_. We are meeting at the memorial at the center of Piccadilly Circus in London. We are going to have lunch together and then hang out together for the afternoon. Then I am catching the train back out to Aylesbury where I meet up with C_.

Saturday I am going to the London Eye, Thames Cruise and the Victoria and Albert museum in London with C_ and B_. I am packing light since I will only have my backpack for the weekend...so no computer until late Saturday, if then. Don't be surprised if I don't update my blog/pictures until Sunday!

DAILY DAVID

No comments: