Saturday, July 4, 2009

Day 3

July 4th...Independence Day in the UK

I woke up at the dawn of crack what, 5:30 6 am and could not go back to sleep? But I was able to get some reading done for my class...so that was good. I doubt I will get up so early tomorrow morning.

It was a very nice day. We didn't really rush around or anything and we got to the Hollowell Steam and Heavy Horse Show about...11am? It was basically like a country fair with cars and steam engines. We wandered around all the vender stalls and we looked at a ton of old cars and antique steam engines.

We caught an act in the main arena which was called "Dancing Digger" which was a guy doing stunts in a huge backhoe. I was highly impressed. I was also able to try a Welsh Apple Cider from a Brewery named Gwynt y Ddraig. I asked for the driest cider they had and the man offered up one call Yarlington Mill. I really liked it, it had a wonderful aftertaste and it got better as you went along.

We had fish and chips for lunch which was very good. Oh, and I also tried a Gooseberry flavored yogurt, fabulously tart!

Near the beer stall we watch the Bacteria Acid Samba Band play. Basically a crew of about 20 people all playing different percussion equipment. I got some video of them playing.

In fact, I took a lot of nice pictures and video I would love to share with you, however technology has not been my bitch today. Nothing I plug into the UBS ports on my computer is recognized. That means I can't download my pictures and I can't recharge my IPod...I am highly miffed. I can only assume it is the power conversion? Then I got a chance to call mom on the cell phone my friends set up for me. One of those pay as you go things. Yeah, it only had 10 pounds on it to begin with...I'd done some texting and whatnot. The phone quit while I was finishing my call with mom. Unless I used more money than I thought on the texts, that international call was nearly a pound a minute. Not cool. Sorry mom, guess we won't be talking much.

SO now my IPod and phone are dead...oh and my US cell phone is also dead. Apparently I left it on during the flight and the battery ran out. I don't know what I am going to do about my ride home from the airport.

Tomorrow I am going to add more money to my phone and I am wondering if I can't make CD's of the pictures I am taking...maybe one a week...through a grocery store or pharmacy that would take the card out of the camera and read it? I don't know if this will work. There is no hope for the IPod while I am here, which is a bummer since I don't have songs on my laptop.

As for tomorrow's adventure...C_ and I are going to start the day at Quainton Windmill and then We'll have lunch at a pub and then head off to Waddesdon Manor. We need to go to the store for more camera batteries, nail polish, shave gel and I want to see about the photo thing.

Then we are going to have roast for dinner.

Which reminds me C_ and B_ decided we would have a cook-out tonight when I told them that's what we Americans do on the 4th. We had home made potato salad, steak, lamb, sausage and chicken and a garden salad. Very good.

I am fading, so I will type to you all tomorrow!

DAILY DAVID

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What a total technological fiasco! I've been keeping up with your adventures and living vicariously through you. I was just browsing a recent SD Reader...I missed seeing a DM tribute band named "Blasphemous Rumours". Have you seen them perform? They did the SD County fair this year too. Also later in the summer a Cure tribute band (The Cured) is playing in town somewhere. So it's July 4th and we watched some fireworks in good ol' San Marcos. We ate grilled food and had us a nice time. PS: I got me one of those things called a job (temporary/part time tho!). Did this really count as a comment?

Unknown said...

privera = pia

PammieJR said...

Hey Pia!

I have seen Blasphemous Rumours and I thought they were a pretty fun tribute band.

And CONGRATS on the job!