Monday, July 6, 2009

Day 5

Today it was the Cotswolds...very beautiful, most of the buildings are made with a yellow limestone which makes them look bright and sunny.

C_ and I spent the day in a town called Bourton-on-the-Water in the Cotswolds. It was a beautiful little place with a river running through the middle. We walked along the little river through town and saw tons of ducks with lots of baby chicks just learning how to swim. Very high cuteness factor.

We then went to Birdland which is basically a zoo for birds. Right when you walk in are the penguins. So cute, I even took some video of them swimming and waddling around. You can get so close to them, it was amazing. We saw so many beautiful birds from all over the world. Even though we did get rained on some.

Next we went to lunch at a pub in The Old New Inn. I had a half pint Strongbow Cider, Roast Beef baguette with mustard and crisps. Then we headed to the Model Village which is a one ninth scale model of Bourton-on-the-Water. I got some cool pictures you might see some day.

Then we headed off to find somewhere where we could have cream tea, which consists of 2 scones, butter, strawberry conserve, and clotted cream. We found a place called the Mad Hatter Tearooms and had our cream tea there. I took a picture of this bit of fabulousness, but since you can't see mine I found a similar, less tasty picture.



Then we hit the shops. Lots of cheesy touristy stuff, but I got some postcards to send out. Then we went into Hartwells, Ironmongers and unusual gifts, and I saw the sign that said "Upstairs...blah blah blah RECORDS" I bolted to find the stairs and climbed them in excitement to find BOXES of LPs and 45s. My American mind screamed "These are ALL imports to ME!" I managed to find an Erasure, two Yazoo and a Depeche Mode LPs! Sweet...and I found the ultimate in cheese...a salt and pepper shaker set that are a red phone booth and a post box. I love them.

We came back home to have Chili made by B_...absolutely fabulous. When I sat down to type this a double rainbow appeared. I got pictures of those too...yeah, you know the drill...

Tomorrow is the hometown of Shakespeare...Stratford-upon-Avon.

DAILY DAVID

1 comment:

pia said...

omg, how i wish i could be sipping on tea while having a nosh on scones topped with real clotted cream. they use tea bags? i'm such a tea snob!! i prefer loose leaf tea.

love that you found some vinyl treasures. awesome!