Saturday, July 18, 2009

Day 16 and 17

I spent Friday and Saturday in London, which was good. OK, you have to forgive what could be an extremely scattered blog tonight. I am in the lobby of the place we are staying, it is 10:36pm and they are hosting some sort of party with a rather loud DJ and children doing very bad karaoke. I think my ears might bleed before I can finish typing this. Did I mention the sinus headache I've had since about 3pm? I am going to do this...

So Friday I left Northampton to meet my friend, M_ in London. We decided to meet a Piccadilly circus at the statue of Eros, where apparently everyone else in London decides to meet up...OK not everyone, but a lot of people. M_ and I met up and walked to Leicester Square to find somewhere to eat lunch. We ate at a place called "Hamburger +" where the service was complete crap, but my burger was good. Then we headed to Trafalgar Square where there is a special art installation.

The art installation is called [OH. MY. HOLY. GOD. they are playing the macarena song...please put a bullet in my head] One & Other where someone gets an hour to do anything they want on the top of the fourth plinth in Trafalgar Square (PS, you can see better what they are doing on the website than you can live). M_ and I watched a changing of the people on the hour and then we headed into the National Gallery. We actually managed to do quite the whirlwind tour of the museum. It was crowded, but it wasn't completely oppressive...or maybe I am just getting more used to crowds?

M_, also American born, noticed the same thing while we were wondering around the various Tube stations. Not only do the British drive on a different side of the street...they walk on a different side of the side walk. It is hard to explain if you aren't experiencing it. As an American, the natural instinct (at least ours was) to let's say walk down the right side of the hall or stairs, going for the right side hand rail. I think the British instinct the opposite. In some Tube stations the signs even tell the people to "Keep left" of oncoming "traffic". I have been swimming upstream since I got here. I am trying to consciously keep left on the sidewalks and stairs, but it is a lifetime "instinct" to unlearn. I am finally looking the correct way for oncoming traffic before crossing the road, but it is still conscious thought.

M_ and I had a really nice day, despite some rain. Then I took the train out to Aylesbury where C_ picked me up after she finished work. We had a loverly dinner cooked by B_. These seasoned pork chops, carrots, beans, potatoes and lots of gravy...finger lickin! Not too mention the fact that the three of put threw down two bottles of wine!

Today, C_, B_ and I went into London. The goal was to take a Thames River Cruise, Ride the London Eye and go to the Victoria and Albert Museum. Even though the train schedule was complete jacked today, we managed to get to the cruise on time. It was really wonderful...I would highly recommend it. I think I only took a hundred pictures on the cruise...no really...I think I took 100 photos. The buildings and everything are so beautiful, I couldn't help myself!

We cruised from the London Eye/Big Ben/Parliament to the Tower Bridge and back. Today was a gorgeous day, not a cloud in the sky. My pictures ROCK. You might see them tomorrow.

Next we hit the line for the London Eye. It was kinda like what happened in the movie "A Christmas Story", no kids, the line ENDS here, it begins back THERE. Although the line was long, it moved at a pretty good clip. I can't even describe the view from the London Eye and I don't know that my pictures do it justice. In my pictures you will see I am as fascinated with the actual wheel as the wonderful view. If you are going to be in London...EVER...you must do this cruise and London Eye package!

It was about 2pm when we got off the Eye, so we decided to ditch the V & A and get a good meal in London. After some talk we chose to go to Chinatown, which I hadn't been to before and hunt down some authentic Chinese for lunch. In the Time Out book I had they suggested a place called Baozi Inn...you know it's good when they don't even lay out western eating utensils. I had a pork baozi for a starter...it was like a huge dumpling on growth hormone! Then I had a beef in noodles and beef broth. The bowl was massive, it kicked my butt, I got full and couldn't finish it.

Then we just headed back to their place, we didn't even eat dinner, we weren't hungry. They dropped me off back here at 9m and there we are!

Tomorrow is a tour of a village called Harleston. We have been invited to a Church of England service and I am probably going to go to it. I hope I don't get struck by lightning! LOL

DAILY DAVID

No comments: