Sunday, July 5, 2009

Day 4

Today I did not wake up at the complete crack of dawn...I think it was 7:30 am this morning?

Thank goodness B_ read my blog, I was able to conquer one of my electronics problem. I was able to use their Apple charger to charge my IPod, that problem solved. We tried a bunch of different ways to download my photos to preserve them in case something bad happens...like I were to delete all my pictures...not that I know anyone who that has happened to, right J_? But I think we will continue to work on that before I got to Northampton for class.

C_ and I went to Quainton and walked around the village and went to the windmill. There was a great guy there who knew EVERYTHING about that windmill and the village of Quainton. I cost a mere pound to climb to the top (and I do mean climb, the top four floors were kinda a ladder type stairs). The view was beautiful and I was able to discover how a windmill actually works...although C_ and I couldn't work out how anyone every came up with the idea of a windmill in the first place.

The village was beautiful and I got loads of pictures of both...you might see them one day. On the thatched roofed houses there are these animals made out of straw. I had only ever seen birds on my last visit. Today in Quainton I got to see a straw cat...whiskers and all!

Being the American I am when I saw the bricks on a duplex declaring "17" and "22" I thought how cool...the house numbers are in the wall in brick. No dumbass, that would be 1722, the year it was built. You know, older than my country...

We came back the the house for lunch...ham and cheese sandwiches, salad with salad cream (kinda like Miracle Whip) and Roast chicken flavored crisps (that's potato chips). Very yummy.

Then we headed out to Waddesdon Manor. While the morning was gorgeous, the sky was getting ever blacker as we got nearer the manor. By the time we got parked it was pouring down rain. Not lame-o Southern California warm mist they call rain...I mean "so-cold-is-this-really-summer?-rain" and the parking lot wasn't very close to the manor house. C_ got us both in for free flashing her and her husband's National trust cards. We ended up getting the audiotour because there was nothing written to tell you what was in the rooms. By the last three rooms we got a bit burnt out and stopped listening. By the time we were done the sun was out and we were able to visit the gardens and aviary.

We had roast lamb with carrots, peas, cabbage, roast potatoes, gravy, and mint sauce. FANTASTIC and a nice Primativo wine called Pillastro from Puglia, Italy. Also tasty. And tonight while I type I am having my first cup of Red Bush Rooibus Tea, vey good. And people say British food isn't good!?! What are they having?

Tomorrow C_ and I are going to Bourton-On-The-Water in the Cotswolds where we are going to go to Birdland. No other set plans for the day, but it will be spent in Bourton.

Even though I can't share my pictures with you, C_ and B_ had a nice picture of their place, taken from the back garden.

The west wing is mine!

DAILY DAVID

2 comments:

Carol said...

Wish I was with you - I'd like the east wing. Waddington looks beautiful. Cotswalds, Birdland...tell us more.
P.S. I'll figure out what to do about returning with dead cell phone.
Just enjoy!

PammieJR said...

Thanks, Carol!