Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Day 13

OK, I am now officially over crowds, I'm over it. There I have said it. Today in London was another crazy crowded day. If London didn't have so much cool stuff, I honestly would not want to go back. Maybe I have just gotten used to my country living in Buckinghamshire? I don't know.

I am also VERY over the fact that I must chase the rest of my school group whenever we go anywhere. I don't think I would care as much if I knew where the destination we were going to was. As some of you you know, I have generalized anxiety disorder...big trigger for me is getting lost/left behind. It horrifies me to the point of irrational thought. I know this, I try to avoid this. When my class crosses the street and keeps going while I get stuck at the traffic light...this equals panic mode. This is not cool, and I become a crabby bitch. I feel that this will be the only side of me my fellow classmates and professors will see. I am fat, I have short legs, I will lag behind, this is a fact I can not change. I feel like a burden to my classmates and I therefore break off as soon as possible. Enough of that.

So today we all went as a group to the British museum...did I mention the crowds? We did do a little group exercise where we talked about our observations and how they are important with what we do as counselors. We spent some time in front of a small mural describing our observations and brainstorming. Then we were set free. I headed for the gift shop where I promptly bought a guide/map to London. Thus, hopefully eliminating my fears of getting lost and left behind. Now if I loose the pack I can at least get around London and Northampton by myself.

I visited the Rosetta Stone again and walked around the Egyptian artifacts. I pondered whether or not to got through the rest of the museum, but I did go last time I visited and there was new stuff in London I wanted to see. Did I mention I noticed the CCharles Dickens House/Museum was in walking distance? As my good friends know I think Charles Dickens is THE MAN. So I decided to make the trek to check out the museum. Most of the trip took me by fairly modern buildings and a huge medical complex. But then you hit the street that Dicken's house is on and you are back in the 19th century!

OK, so Dicken's house wasn't mind blowing. But they did have a whole room dedicated to memorabilia from A Tale of Two Cities
my fave Dickens. Several of the rooms were restored to Dickens time with actual Dickens artifacts. Other rooms showcased various collection. I did learn more about Dickens, the man, today...and I got a student discount, which was cool.

My next stop was I Knit yarn store. I have been waiting for this one for MONTHS. Other than the kid puking in the elevator at Leicester Square station (it was all I could do to not think about what was happening) it was a rather uneventful trip. The directions to the shop were great. But let me say, I would not have wanted to be in this area at night...I don't think it was in the best part of town. I bought LOTS of yarn for me and my friends! All different weights, all different colors, all from the UK! I hope you all will like them. I bought about 200-300 yards of each?

Some of the people from class were meeting up in Leicester Square at 6pm to head back to Northampton, but as the Waterloo station I was at took me back to the Euston station where we catch the train, I decided to head straight out of town.

Food today was very UNnoteworthy I am afraid. I ate lunch at the British museum, premade sandwich and chocolate cake. And for dinner I ate at...Burger King in the Euston Station, sad, I know. But I will close the day with a nice cup of Rooibos tea, which C_ has totally gotten me hooked on. Such a nice way to end the night.

Because of this trip, I have decided I need to take my tea drinking to the next level. No more microwaving a tea bag in a cup of water...OH NO, I want a proper kettle and teapot, for which, I might even knit a cozy. I *heart* you tea!

Tomorrow will be VERY unexciting! I am going to...are you ready? Sleep in (most likely missing breakfast (sadness) and then I am going to do my laundry...SHOCKING, I know. I am contemplating a side trip to somewhere on Thursday, but I really need the day off tomorrow. Mental Health day!

DAILY DAVID

No comments: